- "Ah, my God! That was the worst experience I ever had back in 2002! My entire family had flown to Rockton for Christmas break and to celebrate my 13th birthday, but we had to cut our trip short due to what happened."
- - Kagami Ochiai, to Driller
The '2002 Rockton Attacks' (Japanese: ２００２年ロックトン大量撮影; Hepburn: 'Nisen-ni-nen Rokkuton Tairyō Satsuei') took place on December 21, 2002, where six Crimsonites between the ages of 18 and 21 committed a series of perfectly coordinated attacks against the Minecraftian government and on civilians.
The first attack occurred at 6:22 PM, when one of the Crimsonites drove a truck into a crowd, killing 14 in the process and injuring 26 others before being shot by police. Two minutes later, two other Crimsonites hijacked another truck with the passenger opening fire on civilians killing 23 more and wounding 19. Four minutes later, a fourth Crimsonite detonated a suicide bomb at the King Kenjirou Mausoleum and Shrine, killing 28 and wounding 43 others.
Near the end of the attack, two other Crimsonites opened fire at an airport, killing 13 and wounding more than 90. The fifth Crimsonite got arrested by the FBI when he tried to board a plane to Kozankyo the day after the attack. The sixth Crimsonite was spotted five days later by a drive-thru employee at a local Burger King in Western Kaitushima.
Several countries condemned the attacks, with then-US president George Bush calling it "barbaric." Further controversy arose due to the attacks being largely inspired by Grand Theft Auto III, which the suspects had played before committing the attacks. The FBI charged the two Crimsonites with first-degree murder and providing material support to Team Crimson. The trial took place on January 6, 2003. They were both convicted and received capital punishment. They remained on death row before they escaped to participate in the first Minecraftia University raid, where they were eventually killed.
Preparation for the attack
The six Crimsonites began planning the attack in early 2002. They signed up to become members of Team Crimson and were required to commit an attack in order to prove their allegiance to them. They were inspired by the video game Grand Theft Auto III.
- 6:22 PM: First Crimsonite drives truck into a crowd, killing 14 and wounding 26 before being shot by police a few minutes later.
- 6:24 PM: Second and third Crimsonites hijacks another truck and opens fire on civilians, killing 23 and wounding 19 others.
- 6:28 PM: Fourth Crimsonite detonates a suicide bomb at the King Kenjirou Mausoleum and Shrine, killing 28.
The Shintoist Province and Scarlet Devil of Team Crimson claimed responsibility for the attacks, saying it was in retaliation for the raid of one of their strongholds.