Sorbet TV is a Philippine secondary channel owned by FBN Corporation, launched in 1996, this channel is considered fully English TV channel, similar to ETC, this channel usually targets teens (until September 2020), young adults, adults, people who wants to watch online shows but dont have internet and meme-lovers.
- 1 History
- 2 List of programming
- 2.1 Original
- 2.2 News
- 2.3 Foreign
- 2.4 Local
- 2.5 Upcoming programming
- 2.6 Former programming
- 3 Stations
in 1995, FBN Corporation signed deal with Audiovisual to launch DWQO-TV in test broadcasting, during test broadcast phase (until Sorbet TV launched), DWQO airs simulcast of a cable channel, CNN International.
in 1996, Sorbet TV was launched, its original name was named after one of popular deserts in Philippines, "Sorbetes" without "es", Sorbet TV is new home for former FBN's most English programming, its first official broadcast show was "Weird Science", which was TV show aired on USA Network.
in 1998, after FBN Corporation signed deal with ZDTV, Sorbet TV's ZDTV block was launched, at same day, Sorbet TV was renamed to Ch28 to attract more viewers, during 1998-2015, people these days called Ch28 as "ZDTV/TechTV/G4TechTV/G4 Ch28".
on 2004, Ch28 adopted BBC Three blobs packaging, which continues to air on Ch28 until 2013, its last ident with BBC Three blobs was aired in July 5, 2013 at 1:30am, using same ident as last BBC Three ident with blobs, with announcer saying "before we head for our last program of the day, we are saying goodbye to blobs and also british-esque continity, as BBC Three abandoned same blobs last 2008, tomorrow we have new idenity, new Ch28, but for now, here is The Simpsons, and now we are saying goodbye to blobs, thanks for 9 years", however July 4, 2013 Ch28 ident set is similar to BBC Three January 22, 2008 ident set, using same music.
on mid-2020, FBN planning to rename Ch28 back to Sorbet TV, however with drastic FBN Corporation rebrands on July 1, 2020, it was confirmed and Ch28 will rename back to Sorbet TV on July 1
on June 23, 2020, FBN announced to launch HD feed of Sorbet TV on July 1, initially on OctaDish and Novacable.
on July 24, 2020, FBN and Audiovisual announced that DWQO, DYQO and DXQO (TV and DTV) to be sold to DepEd effectively midnight at August 24, making these stations to be officially the first fully education-oriented stations (fictionally), forcing Sorbet TV to go off air in Analog permanently and FBN's digital stations to have extensive changes, last show to be offically broadcast on Sorbet TV Analog will be "Weird Science" according to Ch28/Sorbet TV's social media accounts along with August 23 schedule photo (August 23 schedule will mainly consist of TechTV shows, old Sorbet TV/Ch28 shows and only unchanged program will be Journal English), its first program on Sorbet TV (as fully-digital only channel) will be "Crossing Swords", which will follow at 12am, at same day, Sorbet TV will finally broadcast 24 hours a day.
on June 26, 2020, FBN announced to sign deal with Netflix to air its original shows on Sorbet TV, starting with Cursed (which premieres on July 17 (Netflix) and July 20 (announced)) and Warrior Nun (which premieres on July 2 (Netflix) and July 21 (announed)), Lucifer (season 4), Dark (season 1) and Japan Sinks: 2020 its not the first time that Netflix original series to aired on linear channels in Philippines, it was first aired on RTL-CBS Entertainment (which aired House of Cards), Yey! (which aired Care Bears & Cousins), GSTV (which aired various tagalog-dubbed Netflix Original series, like Stranger Things via Netflix on GSTV) and NovaTV (which aired various Netflix Original series, like Hollywood), day after announcement, FBN revealed that How to Sell Drugs Online (Fast) (another Netflix Original series) to premiere on Sorbet TV on August 16, with episode two ("Life's Not Fair, Get Used to It") (which originally air on August 23) postponed until August 24 at 4:30am due to special block about Sorbet TV to off-air in analog terrestrial television forever.
on June 30, 2020, at exactly 5:13pm, Ch28 (along with FBN) halted its operations on SkyCable and SkyDirect (also postpone addiction of Bata and Asianmatic TV on SkyCable until further notice) after Ch28 News Updates (unexpectedly interupts My Shy Boss (FBN) and Brooklyn Nine-Nine (Ch28) at exactly 5:10pm), the last words on FBN and Ch28's broadcast on SkyCable and SkyDirect was "FBN and Ch28 will be temporarily halt on SkyCable and SkyDirect until SkyDirect's operations resumes, because of NTC forces Channel 43 and SkyDirect to impose cease and desist order, this has been FBN and Ch28's final broadcasting on SkyCable and SkyDirect for now, FBN and Ch28 will continue on digital TV, other analog terrestrial stations other platforms like FBN Digizer, our live broadcast on FBN Live website and other cable operators, this is FBN and Ch28 now signing off on SkyCable and SkyDirect and this has been Ch28 News Updates", after few seconds, infocard about FBN and Ch28 replaced rest of programs (FBN and Ch28/Sorbet TV) on SkyCable and SkyDirect, however on July 10, 2020 at exactly 7pm, Sorbet TV and FBN programming was resumed on SkyCable, its first show (on SkyCable) was Journal Philippines (FBN) and Your Name (Sorbet TV).
on July 1, 2020, Ch28 aired special farewell to Ch28 name video after station notice on sign-off, on 5am, Sorbet TV was on air again, its first show to broadcast (as new Sorbet TV) was "The Twilight Zone"
on July 3, 2020, after netizens floods that Your Name is coming to Netflix on July 10, FBN announced that Your Name will air on Sorbet TV and Bata on July 10 (same date as Your Name release date on Netflix Philippines) at 7pm, this will have two separated audios for each channel, original Japanese audio with English subtitles (Sorbet TV) and Tagalog audio (Bata), its not first time that Your Name aired on any linear television in Philippines, it was aired on ABS-CBN, Yey! and Asianovela Channel, this was first announced on Bata's FB post's photo captioning "to celebrate Your Name coming to Netflix", however as confirmed by RJTV and NovaTV's facebook pages, it was confirmed to be simulcast on RJTV and NovaTV, via Sorbet TV programme.
on July 6, 2020, FBN's Sorbet TV signed deal with WarnerMedia's HBO Max to air Close Enough, which will premiere on August 1, 2020 at 5:30pm.
on July 9, 2020 at exactly 3:58am, Sorbet TV unexpectedly signs on without notice nor national anthem for Our Stories program (which airs on all BBC, ITV, Channel 4 and Channel 5 UK channels), after that, Sorbet TV signs off again without notice nor national anthem, Sorbet TV resumes program again at exactly 5am.
on July 12, 2020, Sorbet TV announced to return blobs packaging, starting midnight at August 24, this makes "under reconstruction" idents (similar and 'same' as BBC Choice final idents (2002-2003)) to replace current idents at same day.
on July 14, 2020, FBN and Solar announced to launch pop-up crossover channel, based on Sorbet TV's male audiences and ETC's female audiences, named "Sorbet and ETC's so crossover pop-up channel", which last from August 1-31, exclusively on AstSat, Novacable and GSat, this pop-up crossover channel airs programming (current and former) from Sorbet TV (like SMG4, The Simpsons, Family Guy, Cursed, Roswell: New Mexico and RWBY) and ETC (like Zoey's Extraordinary Playlist, Madam Secretary, Glee and New Girl)
on July 16, 2020, FBN announced that Ch28 will air Groovy 107.9 simulcast once again from 10am-1pm, starting August 24.
on July 25, 2020, FBN announced to relaunch G4 block on Sorbet TV on 2021, after G4 comeback was announced, at same time as G4's twitter account tweet about G4 comeback, Sorbet TV's twitter account (along with neotech.tv's twitter account) tweet about G4 block comeback teaser with a caption "We never stopped playing." forcing some people hearing rumors about Sorbet TV might rebrand into "SrbtTV" by 2021 at same time as G4 relaunches.
on August 23, at about 11:57pm, after airing Weird Science without any commercials and interruptions (which began at 11:25pm), Sorbet TV's Analog TV broadcasts signs offs for good, with a message from creators of past and current shows (like Rick and Morty, SMG4, Castle Rock, various of TechTV/G4 shows and The Simpsons) and various DJs of Groovy 107.9 Manila and YOM to the Max Cebu saying goodbye to 'Sorbet TV's 24 year journey of broadcast' which ends with Luke (creator of SMG4 and Meta Runner) saying "goodbye to analog guys, thank you, i was obessed with Sorbet TV since it began to air SMG4 in 2016, to Sorbet TV, it's time for new journey", after that, the special sign off notice playes and special national anthem video (consist of Sorbet TV/Ch28's 24 year history, including shows (in black and white) with national anthem song and sad jazz version of Sorbet TV 1996 ID theme plays afterwards and after 7 minutes, colored still image of Sorbet TV 1996 ID shows with a message "thank you for 24 years of our journey, our new journey starts in Digital TV, see you other side, change da word, my final message, goodbye" and fade away to white screen when Windows 95 sound plays), the last sound to air on Sorbet TV (on DWQO, DYQO and DXQO's analog broadcast before changing to FBN N&E) was Windows 95 startup sound, then afterwards, DWQO, DYQO and DXQO's video signal was cutted to still image saying "FBN N&E, begins at 6am" (while audio signal was cutted until 6am).
List of programming
- Netflix Daily TV (2017-present) (TV version of radio show, Netflix Daily, which is focused on whats new on Netflix and whats leaving on Netflix today, aired on Groovy 107.9)
- Ch28 Meme Minutes (2015-2020)/Sorbet TV Meme Minutes (2020-present) (the program focuses on memes videos from social media platforms (e.g. YouTube) and some Scratch projects by non-educational scratchers, usually airs everyday at 1:30am or before signs off, eash episode usually lasts 30 minutes without commercials)
- The Noose Philippines (2011-present)
- Sorbet TV News (1996-1998)/Ch28 News (1998-2020)/Journal English (2020-present) (1996-present)
- The Twilight Zone (original) (1996-2007, 2019-present)
- Charmed (reboot) (April 2020-present)
- The Good Place (2019-present)
- Batwoman (May 2020-present)
- Inside Edition (1996-present)
- Brooklyn Nine-Nine (2017-present)
- Marlon (December 2017-present)
- The Flash (2019-present)
- Castle Rock (season 1) (October 2019-present)
- The Simpsons (2003-present)
- Family Guy (2006-present)
- Bob's Burgers (2013-present)
- Battle for Dream Island (2014-present)
- RWBY (2017-present)
- SMG4 (2016-present)
Ch28 usually airs Filipino shows dubbed in English.
- Lindol Republic (2016-present)
- FBI (July 1, 2020)
- The Masked Singer (titled as "The Masked Singer USA") (July 1, 2020)
- The Good Doctor (July 2, 2020)
- Borgen (season 1-3) (July 3, 2020) (likely to drop from early 2021)
- Black Jesus (July 4, 2020)
- The Boondocks (July 6, 2020)
- Roswell, New Mexico (July 9, 2020)
- The Blacklist (July 10, 2020)
- Solar Opposites (July 13, 2020)
- Cursed (July 20, 2020)
- Warrior Nun (July 21, 2020)
- Lucifer (Season 4) (July 22, 2020)
- Dark (season 1) (July 23, 2020)
- Japan Sinks: 2020 (July 24, 2020)
- Rick and Morty (late July 2020)
- Close Enough (August 1, 2020)
- Ju-On Origins (August 15, 2020)
- How To Sell Drugs Online (Fast) (August 16, 2020)
- Crossing Swords (August 2020)
- Locked Out (September 2020)
- Castle Rock (season 2) (October 2020)
- We are the Go Jetters (English dub) (October 5, 2020)
- Reckoning (September 17, 2020)
- Good Girls (late 2020)
- Tuca & Bertie (TBA 2021)
- Cobra Kai (TBA 2021)
- Borgen (season 4) (TBA 2022)
- Selling Sunset (TBA)
- White Lines (TBA)
- Outer Banks (TBA)
- Slasher (TBA)
- House of Cards (TBA)
- Tyrant (2016-2018)
- That's 70s Show (1997-2008)
- That's 80s Show (2006-2007)
- Weird Science (1996-1997, 2020)
- Mystery Science Theater 3000 (1996-1999)
- WKRP in Cincinnati (1996-2003)
- Cheers (1996-1998)
- COPS (2011-June 2020) (quietly dropped amidst protests in USA)
- Entertainment Tonight (1996-2018) (dropped per Solar Entertainment's request)
- Home Improvement (1998-2018)
- Seinfeld (1999-2019)
- Dilbert: The Animated Series (2000-2002, 2016-2018)
- Kingdom (US series) (2015-2018)
- Skins (2009-2018)
- Weeds (2006-2012)
- MAD (2011) (dropped after too many jokes and stole copyrighted content (not including owned by TimeWarner, owner of the channel that originally aired MAD, "Cartoon Network"))
- Duckman (1999-2004)
- Neon Genesis Evangelion (2000-2006)
- Saturday Night Live (1996-2014)
- The Super Awesome Crazy But Insane Robot Show (2002-2003)
ZDTV/TechTV/G4TechTV/G4 block (1998-2015)
Its G4 block was closed on March 8, 2015 following G4 USA closure, after an X-Play episode and followed by same final video as G4 USA final sign-off, this block's last words was same (more like "I'm At Comic-Con!", then Donkey Kong Game Over sound and finally Game Boy Startup sound) and finally a message "thanks for almost seventeen years to live with zdtv, techtv and g-four, thanks 4 watching -G4 on Ch28, FBN family and Fujisenkai Communications Inc", after that its G4 block was replaced with more programming from its content partners.
- The Screensavers (1998-2005)
- Call for Help (199?-200?)
- Gamespot TV (1999-2002)
- X-Play (2002-2015)
- G4TV.com (2003-2006)
- Cinemascope (200?-201?)
- Campus PD
- Groovy 107.9 radio simulcast (2004-October 1, 2019) (usually airs daily from 5am-6am, airs last simulcast on September 30, 2019, the next day, its void was filled by The Twilight Zone)
Children programming was fully dropped from Ch28 from December 29, 2017 onwards, FBN plans to bring back children programming to Ch28 by mid-2020 but was scrapped to make way for a new channel Bata.
- Go Jetters (April-December 28, 2017)
- Zip Zip (2016-2017)
- Archie's Weird Mysteries (2005)
- Sherlock Holmes in the 22nd Century (2001-2003)
- Counterfeit Cat (2017)
- Elliot Kid (2009-2012)
- The Mr Men Show (2009-2013)
- Grizzly and the Lemmings (October-December 28, 2017) (despite some episodes being unaired on Ch28, it was unexpectedly dropped as part of Ch28's decline of children programming, then moved to Bata FBN block as short)
Jetix block (2005-2009)
on 2005, FBN signed deal with Disney's Jetix to launch Jetix block on Ch28, however on September 11 2009, following the closure of Jetix USA and Jetix International rebranding to Disney XD and Disney Channel, Jetix block on Ch28 was closed and replaced with unbranded children block on Ch28, its last programming to air on Jetix on Ch28 was "Super Robot Monkey Team Hyperforce Go!" according to a video (titled as "Ch28 - JETIX block FINAL SIGN-OFF [11-SEP 2009]") uploaded by sandiessss on July 2019 as seen showing last few seconds of credits, followed by same last video as Jetix UK feed (with testcard with the Jetix Mascot sleeping after that) and then an weird Ch28 ident, where Blobs are sad and announcement says "Farewell Jetix, Adios Jetix, Paalam Jetix!, and then there we have it on Ch28, and now, it's the Simpsons!" then this video ends.
Its promos is more identical to Jetix Europe ones.
- Super Robot Monkey Team Hyperforce Go! (2005-2009)
- Yin Yang Yo! (2006-2009)
- W.I.T.C.H. (2005-2009)
- X-Men (2005-2007)
- Archie's Weird Mysteries (2005-2009)
- Get Ed (2006-2008)
- Samurai Pizza Cats (2008-2009)
- Monster Buster Club (2008-2009)
- Spider-Man (1994) (2005-2009)
- The Incredible Hulk (2006-2009)
- Neon Genesis Evangelion (2007-2009)
- Sonic X (2005-2009)
- Pucca (2007-2009)
- Power Rangers series (shared with ABS-CBN for disclosed reasons) (2005-2009)
- Jackie Chan Adventures (shared with GMA for disclosed reasons) (2005-2009)
- Captain Flamingo (2008-2009)
- Team Galaxy (shared with GMA for disclosed reasons) (2006-2009)
Special programming/programs or movies that only aired once
- One World: Together At Home (April 19, 2020)
- The Show Must Go On: The Queen + Adam Lambert Story (December 11, 2019)
- TV Patrol (ABS-CBN Shutdown coverage) (simulcast with ABS-CBN, S+A, ANC, DZMM TeleRadyo, DZMM Radyo Patrol 630, MOR 101.9 and Groovy 107.9) (May 5, 2020)
recurring Special programming
- Eurovision Song Contest (1996-present)
- Anime Unleashed (200?-200?) (only TechTV/G4 program to air on Ch28 outside of G4 block)
- DZTD-TV Baguio 69