Universal Studios North Carolina is a film studio and theme park in Murraysville, North Carolina outside Wilmington. It is owned by Universal Parks & Resorts, and first opened on May 15, 1999. It is the largest theme park in the Cape Fear region and the second-most visited theme park in the Carolinas behind Six Flags Carowinds.
In 1993, Universal Pictures began research for the development of a third U.S. Universal Studios park after Universal Studios Hollywood and Universal Studios Florida, with over 2,000 sites considered. In 1994, Cape Fear Safari Park filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy and it's site was chosen. From 1995-1998, the park was built and new homes were secured for all the safari animals. The park opened on May 15, 1999 and saw 5 million visitors in it's first year alone.
Lands and attractions
- Commercialism! with Stan Freberg [Show, opened in 2002]
- Lights! Camera! Action! Hosted by Steven Spielberg [Show]
- Shrek 4-D [4D Theatre]
New York City
- The Amazing Adventures of Spider-Man [Dark Ride]
- Backdraft [Experience]
- Sharknado! A Wild Ride That Bites [Gerstlauer Infinity Coaster Custom, opened in 2018, first Infinity Coaster to use vest restraints]
- Waterworld: A Live Sea War Spectacular [Show]
The Wizarding World of Harry Potter
- Main article: The Wizarding World of Harry Potter (Universal Studios North Carolina)Land opened in 2015, with the "preview attraction" Hogwarts Hat Spinners, opening in the nearby San Francisco area in 2010, thus why it's in the front of the land.
- Flight of the Hippogriff [Vekoma Junior Coaster 335m, opened in 2015]
- Harry Potter and the Forbidden Journey [Dark Ride, opened in 2015]
- Hogwarts Hat Spinners [Gerstalurer Spinning Coaster, opened in 2010]
Halloween Horror Nights Unionization Attempt
In 2008, the scare actors & performers for Halloween Horror Nights (along with many other live show performers at the park) attempted to unionize through an affiliation with the Actors' Equity Association, who represents the haunted house performers at Carwardine Parks' Brilliance Port. The effort did not amount to unionization.